NYC Gifted and Talented Program and Testing


Don’t Forget About the Bracken School Readiness Assessment – BSRA Test
January 18, 2010, 6:54 pm
Filed under: NYC Gifted and Talented Program | Tags: ,

If you’d like to sign-up for my free Gifted and Talented newsletter let me know: skipper646@gmail.com. Thanks- Michael

There are many things parents can do themselves for BSRA test prep. There are Bracken practice tests and sample questions available from a variety of sources for parents to work with their child.   Make sure your child knows the material on the Bracken like the back of their hand so they can do well on that part of the gifted and talented test.

There’s so much focus on the OLSAT which comprises 75% of the score for the NYC gifted and talented program that many parents overlook the Bracken (BSRA) portion of the test that accounts for the other 25% of the test. Parents are under the impression the BSRA – Bracken School Readiness Assessement is the “easy” test that their child will breeze through before the challenging questions on the OLSAT test.  This is somewhat true, but please make sure your child is prepared for the BSRA as much as they are for the OLSAT. The BSRA test compromises information your child most likely knows but needs to be reinforced for testing purposes.   Make sure your child knows all numbers from 1 to 100 and all letters – both lower and upper case.  For the Bracken your child needs to get every point possible so you’ll have some wiggle room for the OLSAT portion of the test. So parents, please don’t forget the Bracken.

From Wiki:
Bracken School Readiness Assessment (BSRA) is an individual cognitive test designed for children, pre-K through second grade. It assesses six basic skills:

  • Colors — Student must identify common colors by name.
  • Letters — Students must identify upper-case and lower-case letters.
  • Numbers | Counting — Student must identify single- and double-digit numerals, and must count objects.
  • Sizes — Student must demonstrate knowledge of words used to depict size (e.g., tall, wide, etc.)
  • Comparisons — Student must match or differentiate objects based on a specific characteristic.
  • Shapes — Student must identify basic shapes by name.

Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s



%d bloggers like this: